- Leeds Disability Sports Camp will next be taking place in the Easter holiday from Monday 11th to Friday 15th Suitable for disabled children and young people aged 8 to 18, plus non-disabled siblings and friends, the camp takes place across five sporting venues across the city.
- Active Schools Leeds and partners are running a number of disability school sport competitions over the next few months. Leeds disability aqua festival is taking place on Wednesday 20th April, Leeds Boccia, New Age Kurling and Table cricket event on the 6th May and an outdoor activities festival on the 11th For details of the annual Leeds Inclusion Calendar click here.
- Leeds Sailing and Activity Centre are holding a Disability Outdoor Activities open day at Yeadon Tarn on Tuesday 26th Following this the regular junior and senior Disability Outdoor Clubs will re-start week beginning 2nd May on Tuesdays (4pm to 5pm) and Fridays (1pm to 2pm).
- SOS Club celebrates its 15th birthday in April. The Sport on Saturday Club at St Mary’s School, Menston, provides young disabled people with a wide range of both physical and learning disabilities, with the opportunity to participate in sport. Age is no barrier and some have been members since the Club’s inception in 2001.
- Northern Ballet’s “In Motion” is a unique dance programme for self-propelling wheelchair users and people with mobility issues. Suitable for ages 8 to 19, regular classes are held on Sundays in central Leeds. A free taster session is taking place on Sunday 8th May, 1pm to 3pm and will give you a chance to explore different ways of moving and see if the course is right for you. To register your place or for more information please contact Jo Dean on 0113 220 8000.
- Sense are running a sports day on Monday 9th May at the University of Leeds. Sense are the national charity that works with people who experience sight and hearing impairments. Suitable for people aged 14+, a range of fun activities and inclusive sports will be on offer. Parents and carers are welcome to come along and join in too from 10am to 4pm. Booking is essential, for more information or to request a booking form contact Callan Barber: email@example.com or call 07813 825571.
- Active Kids for All Sainsbury’s Inclusive Community training course is taking place at the John Charles Centre for Sport on Wednesday 11th May, 9am to 12noon. This course costs just £10 to attend and aims to enable participants to develop an increased understanding of inclusion in physical activity and sport.
- Leeds Let’s Get Active (LLGA) scheme is being funded to continue until at least November thanks to additional funding. LLGA has been running since September 2013, providing free access to leisure centre and community sports and activities in a supportive and welcoming environment. With options as varied as dance and cycling, as well as health walks and mums and babies sessions, there has been an enthusiastic reception for the healthy lifestyles support being offered, with almost one in ten people in the city registered with LLGA.
- Congratulations to all the winners and runners up at the Leeds Sports Awards. There were also many Leeds based winners at the Disability Sport Yorkshire Awards, including Leeds City Council Sport & Active Lifestyles Service picking up the Outstanding Local Authority award.
- #Track2Tokyo is looking for Para-cycling stars of the future to compete in track and road cycling with the potential to become part of the Great Britain Para-cycling team.
- B1 Tennis Coaching CPD is taking place on 28th April at Northumberland Tennis Academy, Newcastle. This three hour workshop costs £50 and is designed to develop the knowledge and skills of coaches and volunteers who deliver visually impaired tennis sessions.
Please forward this information to anyone who may be interested in it. If you would like to be taken off the mailing list please just reply with REMOVE in the subject line.
Finally, feel free to check out our new Leeds City Council Sport & Active Lifestyles website