Please see below for the latest disability sport news in Leeds this month:
- Disability Outdoor Activities Open day is taking place at Leeds Sailing & Activity Centre, Yeadon Tarn on Tuesday 28 April. Sessions are between 1-5pm and are suitable for all ages and impairments and give an opportunity to try indoor caving, canoeing and sailing. The following week two disability outdoor clubs will be taking place every week, for juniors on Tuesdays and adults on Fridays.
- Whizz Kidz are running two Work Skills Days in Leeds on Tuesday 28 April and Saturday 23 May. These days consist of a 5 hour day where young people can learn and socialise together, building confidence and becoming further involved with Whizz-Kidz as a charity. Their aim is to offer work experience and confidence to young wheelchair users between the ages of 14-25 to help them progress happily into their future careers.
- Leeds Disability Sports Camp is next taking place during May half term. Suitable for disabled children and young people and their non-disabled siblings and friends aged between 8 and 18, this camp will be taking place across four venues in the city.
- Herd Farm Activity Centre have announced their latest round of short breaks residential weekends in 2015 and regular after school club for children and young people with a disability.
- Yorkshire Dance are running various classes, workshops and groups for children, young people and adults with learning and physical disabilities. These include “Saturday Superstars” – a range of fully inclusive classes for children aged 0 – 14 years old, and adult opportunities focusing on honing creative movement and performance skills in various fully supported environments.
- Sportivate funding round 10 has now opened. Suitable for any clubs or organisations to engage with and stimulate 11-25 year olds who don’t currently participate in sport or exercise, this funding is available to help pay for coaches, equipment, venue costs, marketing or coach education.
- Disport Junior Athletics dates for 2015 have been announced, with the West Yorkshire and regional finals held at the John Charles Centre for Sport in Leeds.
- Leeds Disability Tag Rugby Festival 2015 has been announced. Taking place at Headingley Carnegie Stadium on Tuesday 22 September, this annual event is aimed at ambulant players of all ages with a learning, moderate physical or sensory impairment.
- Disability sport vacancies exist within Bradford Disability Sport & Leisure who are currently recruiting for a Sport Development Officer, closing date for applications is 27 April. West Yorkshire Sport also have two Development Officer vacancies in their team, closing date is the 8 May.
- Jorvik Boccia is a new club in Yorkshire for players with physical disabilities. Sessions are held twice a month, on the 2nd and 4th Sundays, from 11am to 3pm at Burnholme Community Sports Hub, York.
- Tennis Foundation Wheelchair Tennis camp is taking place at South Ribble in Preston on the 31 May 2015. Visually impaired tennis coaching course is taking place at Liverpool Tennis Centre on the 12 May.
- Metro Athletics Open is taking place on June 20 at Mile Stadium, East London for visually impaired athletes and their families from across the country.