- Leeds Disability Tag Rugby Festival took place at Headingley Carnegie Stadium on the 23rd September with 18 teams and over 180 disabled people of all ages taking part. To read a report of the event click here. Leeds Rhinos have produced a video of the festival and this is available here.
- Disability Sport Yorkshire Awards took place in September at Elland Road, with individuals, clubs and organisations involved in disability sport in Yorkshire honoured. To read a report of the awards including details of the Leeds winners click here.
- Special Olympics European Games took place in Antwerp in September and Edward Williams from Leeds won a full set of medals as part of the Special Olympics GB team. Edward trains at the John Charles Centre for Sport on Tuesday evenings and does a variety of sports at Pudsey Gateway Club in Leeds.
- Ticket 2 Tokyo wheelchair tennis day proved a success at Leeds Beckett University earlier this month. A national scheme run by the Tennis Foundation, in partnership with local providers such as the university and Leeds City Council, this provided a day of free wheelchair tennis coaching and talent identification for new and existing players of all ages and all ability levels.
- Otley Sailing Club will be hosting the Northern Sailability regatta on Thursday 9th October, featuring Access 303 wide dinghies, which are incredibly accessible for all.
- FA Coaching Disabled Footballers course will be taking place at Bruntcliffe School, Morley on the 11th This 6 hour workshop is aimed at coaches who are looking to develop adaptive coaching methods to include players with a disability in football sessions.
- Leeds Disability Sports Camp will next be taking place in October half term, across 5 venues city-wide. Suitable for ages 8-19 years old, all ability levels and disabilities, and non-disabled siblings and friends are welcome to attend too. For further details and the application form please click here.
- YMCAfit are running an Exercise and Disability course in Leeds at LA Fitness in Yeadon on the 8th and 9th This course will provide you with confidence and expertise in writing and delivering safe, effective and fun exercise programmes for a range of people with disabilities.
- Funding guide for sport has been updated and is available to download on the Sport & Active Lifestyles section of the Leeds City Council website, providing a useful reference to current local, regional and national sports funding avenues.
- City of York disability sport and activity newsletter for September is available to view now, detailing the latest disability sports across the city.
- National Deaf Children’s Society (NDCS) have launched a coach bursary scheme. This aims to support young people and adults to gain formal sports coaching qualifications and empower them to deliver sports activities for deaf children and young people.
- British Cycling are delivering disability cycling sessions at the National Cycling Centre, Manchester Velodrome throughout the year. Click on the link to register.
- Boccia England has teamed up with the Youth Sport Trust to deliver national talent camps in 2014 and 2015, offering a developmental experience for coaches, officials and players.
- DS Active are holding a National tennis festival for people with downs syndrome on Saturday 1st November at the National Tennis Centre in Roehampton. Details will be posted shortly on dsactive.org
- British Athletics are promoting a series of free Para Athletics Introduction Days for aspiring disabled athletes to train with specialist coaches across the Paralympic athletics events. Sessions are taking place in Loughborough in October, Manchester in November and Sheffield in January.